Search This Blog

Friday 29 July 2011

Are you a Water or Coke ???

Yesterday when I returned home late but with a big smile, which is my usual habit, after having a very hectic training session at office.

On the face, I usually do not show any negative sign of unhappiness or tiredness, no matter how tired I am Or what time have I reached home.

When I passed smile to wife, she just started abusing the KESC for their extensive load shedding because I had asked her that“ Why the UPS is not working”. 

On my wife’s reaction which actually I didn’t like but immediately one striking phrase came to my mind from the book “Seven Habits of Highly Effective Leader by Stephen Covey” that “ No one can hurt you until & unless you will not let them to do so” i.e. One can abuse us, It is in one’s control but the response against it what we give, is in our control. Likewise weather , Natural disasters or some one’s behavior , KESC is not in our control but the choice of response is.

To understand this, let me tell you a short story,
Once upon a time , a man was polishing his new dream car; his 4 year old daughter picked up a stone and scratched on the side of the car. In anger, the furious Man took his child’s hand & hit it many times, not realizing he was using a wrench. At the hospital, the child lost all his fingers due to multiple fractures.

When the child saw his father, with painful eyes he asked ‘Dad when will my fingers grow back?’ The man was so hurt and speechless. He went back to the car and kicked it many times. Devastated by his own actions, sitting in front of the car, he looked at the scratches, His daughter had written ‘LOVE YOU DAD’. Whatever the situation, we should try to hold our nerves and keep intact in a positive manner. 
So what to do, let may say it, in a different way here that “Be Water and not a Coke”. 

What do I mean by this, well let me explain,
What does happen when we shake a coke bottle ? .. its blast , but when we shake the water bottle it remains calm though it may make some ripples.

It is our choice and response against a particular event which differentiates us whether we are water or a coke . Water is beneficial for the person’s health as well, think twice before taken any action or decision whether you are responding or reacting. Wise people respond whereas fools react. When you respond you have a lot of choices but when we react we don’t have choice except regrets , sorrow , unhappiness & troubles .
Because when we react its urgent & abrupt , it’s not planned at all and this can lead to big mishaps at times.

Be a Water Not A Coke…..!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment